Psychology mindset and behaviour modification in weight management
This Module forms part of the 10576NAT Certificate IV in Weight Management/10698NAT Diploma of Weight Management. Completion of this Module prior to enrolment into either course will result in credit for this Module.
There are 5 modules in this course:
- Identify the psychological principles of behaviour change as they relate to weight management
- Analyse the history and development of the science of psychology
- Define the principles of the bio-pyscho-social model including the effects on the brain and the nervous system associated with obesity
- Analyse the effect of neurotransmitters and neuroplasticity on long term behaviour change for weight
- Identify the psychological theories that may affect weight management behaviour change
- Demonstrate the principles of behaviour change models and processes of change
- Discuss the processes of change influencing behaviour
- Identify perceived barriers to behaviour change and establish realistic solutions
- Define and demonstrate mindset and the effect on motivation and behaviour change
- Demonstrate the principles of behaviour change in relation to diet and exercise
- Discuss the link between body image, self-esteem and mind set
- Discuss the effects of poor body image and how this affects self-esteem
- Explain the role of the media and advertising in influencing body image
- Analyse the importance of body image and self-esteem, and the practice of self-compassion
- Demonstrate knowledge of mindset change exercises and activities that lead to improved self-esteem
- Demonstrate the link between mindset, self esteem and weight management.
- Discuss the benefits of non-dieting approaches to weight management for improved body image and self-esteem
- Identify common psychological conditions which require referral to appropriate medical or allied health practitioners
- Support clients to undertake behaviour change
- Obtain information about the client’s current lifestyle behaviours and attitude towards weight loss and weight management
- Determine the client’s stage of readiness to making lifestyle changes
- Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural and social differences
- Assess the client’s level of motivation, commitment and confidence to change
- Identify the client’s perceived barriers to making lifestyle changes
- Identify strategies to motivate behaviour change
- Develop a plan by using basic counselling approaches for behaviour change
- Demonstrate and reinforce positive beliefs and behaviours
- Identify and reframe negative beliefs
- Demonstrate a non-judgemental, compassionate attitude when dealing with clients
- Implement strategies to support client behaviour changes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the determinants of adherence that influence behaviour
- Identify and implement a variety of strategies and factors to improve adherence to a weight management program
- Implement effective values based goal setting
- Discuss short and long term changes in behaviour
- Identify common reasons for discontinuation of a weight management program in collaboration with the client
- Determine the effectiveness of behavioural change strategies implemented and make adjustments as required
- Apply basic counselling approaches to increase the client’s commitment to a weight management program
- Demonstrate mindfulness to increase confidence and resilience in clients to help them cope with stress and anxiety
- Apply a variety of motivational techniques for behaviour modification
- Demonstrate motivational strategies to suit individual client needs
- Demonstrate effective communication skills when consulting with a client to optimise motivation
- Provide positive reinforcement and feedback to clients to continually influence lifestyle behaviour change
- Identify and reframe disempowering attitudes and beliefs
- Utilise the client’s attitudes and values to positively influence adherence and behaviour
- Identify the psychological principles of behaviour change as they relate to weight management
This unit will provide you with the skills and knowledge required to analyse client behaviour and motivate clients to commence and adhere to a weight management program to create permanent lifestyle and behaviour changes.
This unit applies to individuals working in the weight management industry who are required to apply psychological principles of behaviour change and mindset to the design of effective weight management programs and services to the general population (including adolescents and adults) presenting with no major health conditions. It requires the ability to recognise and work within professional limitations.
The Weight Management Pscyhology course is delivered by the Australian College of Weight Management. Statement of Attainment Issued by RTO #30798 (The College of Health and Fitness)
Studying online is a cost effective way to study compared to traditional face to face methods. The flexible delivery allows you to keep working while you study and removes a lot of other costs involved.
- Save on transit costs
- No more extravagant parking fees
- Study when you what, where you want
- Affordable – student payment plan options are available
At the Australian College of Weight Management we want to see you succeed and are here to support you all the way. All of our courses include personalised Tutor support, which means you will be allocated a Tutor when you enrol and they will be your direct point of contact if you need any help or support throughout your studies.
It’s all part of the service:
- Tutor Access – with a guaranteed 24 hour response (weekdays)
- Access to the Student Support Team (9am – 5pm Monday to Friday AEST)
- Assignments are marked and returned within 10 working days
- A welcome call from the Education Team who will be helping you
- The opportunity for a scheduled phone call from your Tutor whenever you have questions you would like to discuss
Get more information
Want more information about financial and student support? Fill out the enquiry form by clicking the button below and a Careers Advisor will contact you with the details you need.
Our courses have been developed in response to industry demand and are specifically designed to equip graduates with work-ready skills. Each participant will be trained and assessed in theory and in practical tasks and real-world exercises are used throughout the program. Through our online qualification you can:
- Start a new career in the weight management industry as a consultant or coach in a variety of health and wellness areas
- Broaden your existing skills or knowledge so you can provide a holistic service to your clients
- Add a new service to your existing health or wellness business
If you are considering entering the weight management industry, here are 5 great reasons why you definitely should:
1. A rewarding career choice
Helping your clients to achieve their goals and sharing in their life-changing journey is an amazing experience, and one which creates a fulfilling and rewarding career.
2. Make a difference – for life
Through a holistic education in weight management covering the principles of psychology, nutrition and exercise, you will be able to help clients make permanent and lasting lifestyle changes not just affecting their weight, but their life.
3. Keep informed about exciting research
Neuroscience, nutrigenomics and EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique); these are just a few areas of exciting research taking place in the weight management industry.
4. Join a growth industry
IBISWorld reports have indicated a growth of over 14% in the demand for weight loss counselling services in just two years (2012-2014); it is estimated that nearly three-quarters of the Australian population will be overweight or obese by 2025, so this increased demand is set to continue.
5. It’s never too late
Over 60% of our students are over the age of 40 (we even have students in their 70’s!), so if you are looking to make a change to a rewarding career, now is the time.
The Australian College of Weight Management validates your credibility as a professional within the Weight Management Industry as well as with your clients through our certification.
As well as providing you with a quality education based on a holistic and multi-disciplinary approach to weight management, your qualification is a great marketing tool to help you build your business and attract clients.
We are committed to providing the best level of student support and administration available. Throughout your course you are provided with the support of a full time education team by telephone, email or in person.
The Australian College of Weight Management undertakes competency based assessment; there are no exams. This approach means that our students can’t receive a “fail” mark on their assignments. If an assignment is not satisfactory, the student is able to reattempt the assignment with the support of the education team and their tutor where needed. Competency Based Learning means that we train our students to be competent rather than producing graduates that are simply able to pass tests or examinations.
How else will I benefit from studying with the Australian College of Weight Loss Consultants?
- Studying online or distance means you can study where you want and at your own pace.
- Receive career-focused training with practical, hands-on learning.
- All course materials are provided and all digital platforms are interactive, work on any device and designed to be fun.
- Recognition of Prior Learning or Skills Recognition may be available for previous work experience, formal training or qualifications in this field.